Re: Neverball ME (for Android)

themacmeister wrote:

Hey gjt, is that hourglass meant to appear on the Ansi-C version? I have only ever seen it when loading the compiled Java version (Nuncabola)?

Heh, yeah. This Android port has to do a lot of things in the background--it takes about two seconds, right? So I just filched the hourglass image as a "Loading..." screen.

Also, Why was the TV output cropped so badly? was it n non-standard resolution?

Yes, it was probably an older development settings I didn't disable.

parasti has begun to look at my Android modifications, so once he puts it into trunk I'll be able to work with more vigor on this. I want to get the game playable, dang it!

27 (edited by nue 2012-02-19 12:46:22)

I finally got around to testing NB ME on Android on my Desize Z phone, following Shino's instructions.

While there are a lot of graphic glitches to iron out (especially fonts don't render at all, and coin particles or opened goals look bad) the game was way more playable than last time I tried. I really like the new controls! There were still "problems" (framerate dropping to way less than 1) on Easy 4 (with the slopes and the rails...) - I will play some more and report back.

However I think that this port is coming along excellently! Really good work!

I put the .apk file from yesterday afternoon online in case someone wants to give it a quick try without cloning the whole git - please tell me if you're not ok with that.
http://dollywood.itp.tuwien.ac.at/~geor … l_test.apk

EDIT:
The graphics glitches appear to be correlated with the on-screen keys. If I switch them off and use only the accelerometer, the graphics and fonts and everything are just fine. Looks really neat actually, including reflection etc.!

Here's a list of the first few levels regarding playability of levels on my device. (How can I switch on FPS display without the F9 key :-P?). By the way the game never "hangs up", the music keeps playing etc., but a new frame is only displayed every 10-20 seconds. After the time is up, the "time-up" screen appears and the game continues working.
Playable:
Yes - Easy 1 2 3     I 5      8
No  -                4      6 7     II

Excellent work so far!

So gjtorikian, you mentioned a couple of things on IRC that I did not get...

* Last time I played, a lot of levels were not really playable because of performance issues. You mentioned some updates to the Android SDK which are supposed to fix some things. Do they also fix those issues?

* You also mentioned some new branch resolving some graphics issues. Can you elaborate on that?

* Has someone with newer hardware tried Neverball on Android and has had better results for playability?

* Since the game was, except for performance issues, working well already in February, should there be some official / semi-official build, or release, in Google Play and / or the Neverball website?

Do you think you could test Android build on this?

Currently Playing:
$150 worth of GOG.com classic games

Did you know there is a port on android here ? https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … .neverball

It's not so great though. Player experience is of course a lot greater on a PC.

shino wrote:

Did you know there is a port on android here ? https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … .neverball

It's not so great though. Player experience is of course a lot greater on a PC.

I hate to be "that guy," but it looks like someone took the work I'd started, gave no credit to anyone, and released an app--without providing the GPL source code.

Harumph. Forgetting the slight to me--which, come on, I hadn't updated the project in a year, and did none of the OpenGL ES conversion--I think not providing the code is terrible.

You're right gjt. Clear breach of GNU GPL (if that is applicable here).

I have a new Raspberry Pi 512MB Model B. Looking forward to trying RaspBall/NeverBerry.

PS. Google has a long memory, it is allowing me to still install Android apps for my "Unknown AndroVM for VirtualBox"

Deleted it a year ago thwomps/smile

Currently Playing:

That stinks gjtorikian,
It bugs me that this person didn't contact you are at least mention that his app is based on your work.
But furthermore, the breach of the GPL license is a problem in my eyes, if it is indeed the case.

I feel like we should reach out to them and ask them to comply, maybe they are just ignorant of what that license requires of them..?

@Cheeseness is knowledgable and diplomatic, I hope he can weigh in on this.

34 (edited by Cheeseness 2013-04-16 10:04:01)

A very brief look over gjtorikian's repo indicates that there are copyright headers and licence/copying information available, so there shouldn't really be any room for confusion once things are spelled out.

I don't recall whether we've put licence details on non-code contributions (I don't recall putting anything on the stuff I've added, and I notice that my orange ball features in their screenshots), but I guess we should probably make sure that that's considered as well.

I haven't had time to really look into this, but if somebody's willing (if that somebody ends up being me, it's going to be a while before I can squeeze time in to give this the attention it deserves), I think contact should probably be made (as tones says, a diplomatic solution is likely to result in more positive outcomes - open hands before warning shots), and then we can look at what context of the situation is and triple check that they're not breach of licence terms (I don't have an android device, so I can't check that they're not giving a link to a repo somewhere in a readme).

It'd be nice to have active commits back to gjtorikian's repo, and if they wanted to be active here, then that'd be awesome, but I think that having them publish their modifications to the source of our GPL app (I did spot some Apache licenced stuff in gjtorikian's repo as well) is as much as we can fairly expect, and is as much as is required by our licence terms.

Edit: One possible option for making contact could be to post a comment on their bloggy thing asking them to join the discussion here. I'm not certain how confrontational that might seem though (it could be a fairly public place to be broaching what could end up being a fairly sticky issue).

35 (edited by parasti 2013-04-16 11:22:14)

I installed the app back when shino mentioned it. I didn't find anything that would indicate GPL compliance. It's a fairly rough port that basically amounts to making the orange ball default, turning a bunch of official levels into an extra download, and disabling background graphics, probably to gain performance.

I don't really want to get into the whole GPL compliance back-and-forth, at all. This looks like self promotion, which I would hate even with full GPL compliance, and which the GPL doesn't prevent anyway.

On a related note, I am doing some Android stuff with Neverball, so chances are we will have an official port of our own. Not sure how that factors into this situation, but there.

Edit: BTW, an easy way to figure out intentions would be to show the licence on the title screen.

parasti wrote:

Edit: BTW, an easy way to figure out intentions would be to show the licence on the title screen.

I was just thinking the same thing yesterday. It'd potentially be nice to also have a contributors/credits screen.

Of course that sort of stuff is easily (and legally) removable

37 (edited by parasti 2013-04-17 10:14:33)

The GPL forbids the removal of any notices to itself. It would completely defeat the purpose of the licence if that was allowed. It is easy to remove, yes, but removal would show intent, which is what we'd be looking for.

38 (edited by Cheeseness 2013-04-17 10:26:19)

parasti wrote:

The GPL forbids the removal of any notices to itself. It would completely defeat the purpose of the licence if that was allowed. It is easy to remove, yes, but removal would show intent, which is what we'd be looking for.

I was under the impression that you had to have licence notifications, not necessarily having them in the exact sameplaces (ie: leaving them in the published source and distributing the COPYING file would be enough), but I could be wrong.

I thought it meant (and excuse me if I am WAY off):

COPYING file
GPL file
SOURCE included, or made available via a download URL.

Currently Playing:

Greetings,
The Cheesman just put me on to Neverball and I thought I might try it on my new Samsung Galaxy Note II running Android 4.1.2.

Sadly it is unplayable. It starts up and I get a screen with five boxes on the screen which seem to be meant to have text on them. The text is visible for about half a second but then it disappears to be replaced by a plain white box. The first one says play. If I hit play I get a thing that looks like it might be a text entry box with a keyboard below, it but it is just a series of white boxes so I can't tell what it is meant to be. If I hit any of the white boxes a
yellow box appears in the middle of the thing that looks like it might
be a text entry box.

Any hope?

wirejunkie

If you are using gjtorikian's APK (which nue linked) then you should disable the onscreen thingy, it tends to break the graphics hardcore. If you are using the version on the Play store, we have nothing to do with that version.

42 (edited by Cheeseness 2013-05-08 13:30:16)

parasti wrote:

If you are using gjtorikian's APK (which nue linked) then you should disable the onscreen thingy, it tends to break the graphics hardcore. If you are using the version on the Play store, we have nothing to do with that version.

I had recommended using the apk most recently linked to by nue. I know nothing about android devices. Is this onscreen thingy a device setting, or something that's part of our Android version of Neverball?

43 (edited by parasti 2013-05-08 16:18:44)

I just checked: when the app starts up and the SDL splash screen is shown, tap the device configuration button, from there you can disable the on-screen keys under Additional controls.

The Cheesman just put me on to Neverball

Is this you Cheeseness?

It's a shame when they get your name wrong thwomps/smile

I just watched Searching for Sugarman... and now all I can think is Searching for Cheesman thwomps/grin

Currently Playing:

Everybody's searching for Cheese, man.

parasti wrote:

I just checked: when the app starts up and the SDL splash screen is shown, tap the device configuration button, from there you can disable the on-screen keys under Additional controls.

What do you mean by the device configuration button? Is this an onsceen button or a hardware button?

wirejunkie

It's a wide button at the top of the splash screen that says "Change device configuration". It's pretty hard to miss if you can catch a glimpse of the splash.

Ok, I did that and now I can get the game to run. If I turn the accelerometer on I can play by tilting the device. But it's massively hard to control and doesn't seem to like to go left or right. It only really likes forwards and backwards. If I turn that off and drag my finger on the screen it is similarilly quite uncontrolable. It doesn't seem to go where I point. Or maybe there is some kind of lag between my pointing and it going. I will have to practise more to find out. Sadly it made me quite queesy after qute a short time...

Thanks for your help.

wirejunkie

Yeah, the controls are awkward, but frankly not a whole lot of difference there from the PC version. It's made a bit worse, though, by not being able to see where you're going because the screen is tilted...

My friend played it yesterday on my phone and had a much better result and didn't get queesy. Seems a very fine level of control is good. A sensitivity adjustment woudl be good...

wirejunkie