1 (edited by parasti 2012-12-09 19:55:51)

Topic: Windows build of Neverball r3898

Last night on IRC ht-never asked if I could make a new Windows build, so here's one:

neverball-r3898.zip [61M]

It's kind of tested and should work.

Link removed. Newer builds available at http://neverball.org/neverball-nightly.zip.

Re: Windows build of Neverball r3898

Thank you. it works fine :-)

Two questions:
1) How to enable the cheat mode?
2) Is this a known problem? http://s13.postimage.org/dh431g7ef/screen00001.png

~DEV

3 (edited by parasti 2012-10-14 19:58:01)

ht-never wrote:

1) How to enable the cheat mode?

Spoiler:

xyzzy

No, but I know what causes it. The translation is too long for some strings. For example, "On" is translated as "Attivato" (2 letters to 8 letters). I assume the translation for "Off" is even longer. You will have to shorten them. It would be great if you could test all of the screens that way and fix the translation where necessary.

parasti wrote:

No, but I know what causes it. The translation is too long for some strings. For example, "On" is translated as "Attivato" (2 letters to 8 letters). I assume the translation for "Off" is even longer. You will have to shorten them. It would be great if you could test all of the screens that way and fix the translation where necessary.

Oh... I understand. I will work on the traslation thwomps/smile

~DEV

Ok, fixed.

~DEV

I noticed that "Graphics" and "Configure" can't be traslated. There are no msgid for these strings. We should update neverball.pot

~DEV

You can add them to the it.po file manually.

I usually don't bother updating the POT file until we are close to release.

parasti wrote:

I usually don't bother updating the POT file until we are close to release.

It seems legitimate. :-)

~DEV

I ran this from the 64bit Program Files folder... does this mean it is running in true 64 bit?

Is there a way of checking this? I couldn't find a column in Task Manager that listed this.

Seems to be running GREAT BTW! Ran it with 4x AA, and it looks superb in 1080p.

There seems to be something wrong with Neverputt. It is showing only 56fps (vsync) where Neverball shows a solid 60?

Currently Playing:
$150 worth of GOG.com classic games

themacmeister wrote:

I ran this from the 64bit Program Files folder... does this mean it is running in true 64 bit?

Yes!

Is there a way of checking this? I couldn't find a column in Task Manager that listed this.

Oh, I thought you were joking.

The binary is 32-bit. Putting it in a 64-bit folder unfortunately doesn't make it 64-bit. Sorry.

There seems to be something wrong with Neverputt. It is showing only 56fps (vsync) where Neverball shows a solid 60?

It probably uses a different FPS counter. The basic game loop is also fairly different from Neverball (since it was never updated from 1.4), so I'm not surprised it would show different values.

11 (edited by ht-never 2012-10-16 10:38:54)

I have 432 FPS in Neverputt (Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit)

~DEV

@ht-never, I have 1000+ fps in neverputt, but have vsync enabled. thwomps/tongue

Currently Playing:

parasti wrote:

The binary is 32-bit. Putting it in a 64-bit folder unfortunately doesn't make it 64-bit. Sorry.

Is it difficult to build a 64 bit binary? Have you got a 64-bit build environment?

I would be glad to test it if you can (NB-64 + NP-64)  thwomps/smile

Currently Playing:

14 (edited by ht-never 2012-10-17 09:37:19)

themacmeister wrote:

@ht-never, I have 1000+ fps in neverputt, but have vsync enabled. thwomps/tongue

I can't find the VSYNC option in neverputt's configuration. So I only can say I have 476 FPS thwomps/smile

themacmeister wrote:

I would be glad to test it if you can (NB-64 + NP-64)

@parasti: It whould be great!

~DEV

themacmeister wrote:

Is it difficult to build a 64 bit binary? Have you got a 64-bit build environment?

It is difficult because I don't have a 64-bit cross-compile setup. I haven't really looked at mingw-w64.

Having a 64-bit Windows build doesn't seem like much of an advantage to be honest.

r3861 is up. Go grab it from the first post.

This one has an altered chase cam, so be sure to test that. Also have a go at tweaking the new camera_1_speed option in neverballrc. Let me know if a higher/lower value gives a better feel than the current default (250).

Just tested r3861, and here is my list of issues I found in the game:

• Antialiasing causes many graphical bugs. Reflection doesn’t work properly despite reflection and other graphics options being on. Easy 9 is one of many examples. The floor no longer reflects the colour of the sky and you can no longer see objects being reflected in the ground. I’m pretty sure antialiasing wasn’t causing this to happen a few weeks ago when I used the latest Nuncabola build. I really don’t like playing Neverball with antialiasing disabled, as the game looks a lot nicer with smoothed edges.

• Another strange bug caused by turning on antialiasing is that changing any settings in the graphics config options causes the screen to go completely black, and won’t come right again until I press Esc enough times to get to the main menu.

• Having antialiasing enabled also messes with the in-game text. The text looks smoother when antialiasing is disabled, and rough when it’s enabled.

• Having antialiasing enabled causes the atom ball’s protons and neutrons to have fuzzy blue edges.

• When selecting a ball skin, the order in which they appear is now reverse-alphabetical. The latest version of Nuncabola is fine, with the balls appearing in alphabetical order.

• Level shots appear stretched in a 1920x1080 resolution.

• The new particle effects for teleporters and goals cause major performance issues for me. The worst is Medium 12, where I’m getting framerates at around 30fps, even when vsync is disabled.

• Hard 18 has a time limit of 1:39. Why can’t it be 1:40?

• For the sake of continuity (and because I’m a perfectionist) Retour de Force I and III need a full stop after the first sentence in their respective level intro messages.

• In Neverputt, there’s an option where you can skip levels by typing the level number then pressing enter. You can even skip a level at any point in a level after each turn. But if you do it too much, it stops working after a while, and won’t work again unless you quit the game and go back into it again.

Indeed, I understand that a lot of these issues may well be known, but I'm hoping that most, if not all of these issues will be ironed out before the 1.6.0 release. I am yet to test the new camera behaviour. I'll do that when I next have time and share my thoughts on it.

• Your antialiasing trouble is probably not due to the game, but due to your drivers. You say you tested Nuncabola a few weeks back, but a lot can change in that time. It would be much more helpful if you specified these things:

1. Does antialiasing work glitch-free if you set it and restart the game?

2. What's your graphics setup? Is it a discrete card or an on-board chip?

3. Did you update your video drivers after experiencing the glitch first time?

• Reverse ball order is indeed a Neverball quirk. Will fix, if laziness is overcome.

• Stretched images is a known issue. I guess Nuncabola has it fixed then.

• Goal and teleporter effects causing performance drops is known. I think we touched on this on IRC, too. We'll have to do something about that.

This is good feedback, keep it coming!

19 (edited by Cheeseness 2012-10-20 11:39:58)

If it's (un)helpful at all, I can't reproduce any of the anti-aliasing woes under Linux on my GTX 460 using nvidia proprietary drivers.

20 (edited by ht-never 2012-10-20 11:44:04)

• Cameras' new names need to be translated. I put the new strings in it.po but other POs need an update too

• Antialiasing works fine for me. No problems here

• When selecting a ball, the order in which they appear is reverse-alphabetical for me too

• I fixed pipe.map with 100 seconds limit instead of 99

• The intro texts have a point!

~DEV

ht-never wrote:

I fixed pipe.map with 100 seconds limit instead of 99

Why?

22 (edited by ht-never 2012-10-20 11:49:51)

I thought it was a detail that should be considered.

@static: I'm a perfectionist too

~DEV

ht-never wrote:

It already has been, check out this thread.

24 (edited by parasti 2012-10-20 12:04:23)

ht-never wrote:

But just because something is reported doesn't make it a problem worth fixing.

I think a time of 99 seconds is not an accident. It does make 1 minute 39 seconds, but so what?

Edit: It seems I may have "allowed" this change three years ago. Bad, bad parasti!

25 (edited by ht-never 2012-10-20 12:07:36)

I can revert, if you want :-) It's not a problem for me

~DEV