1 (edited by jammnrose 2012-10-12 16:55:34)

Topic: Mac OS X binaries of SVN version

Hello visitors! Please note that these builds *ARE NOT* release builds, and may be unstable.

Current build: r3481 (requires Mac OS X 10.6+)

Link: http://caffeinatedcontent.com/neverball … -r3481.zip

Outdated:
Link: http://caffeinatedcontent.com/neverball … 0r3048.dmg

Mac OS X Xcode project & package maintainer.

If you have some Neverball related files you need hosted somewhere, please send a me forum PM/email.

Re: Mac OS X binaries of SVN version

r883

If you have some Neverball related files you need hosted somewhere, please send a me forum PM/email.

jammnrose, you've added "the needed files to compile on osx with Xcode", but this takes 26 Mo, i.e. as much as the full game thwomps/hmm isn't it too much ?

i don't know of what else to do...or how i can reduce the filesize...

Even if size is not a problem on the track repository, it will be bothering to download all these files for non-Macos users.
For example, each time I have to package the Windows version, my script will download all your files, and will have to remove them for the final package.

Hmmm. I did not realize it was such a large download... What exactly have you packaged there, jammnrose?

For the windows build, only the project files are given... users are responsible for downloading the various other packages and tools they'll need. Are you including anything in your mac svn folder that could be easily downloaded somewhere else?

Alternatively, if said files are not likely to change at all, perhaps offering them via a seperate download link would be most efficient. (If one really does need to download 26MB)

well, you have your images/icons which are ~10mb. external libraries are ~3mb, an external tool is about 1mb, and the actual xcode project is ~10mb...

total size is actually 24.2mb

i will take a look at slimming this down.

Ugh.  Yeah.  Get those binary dependancies out of the repo.  What's the plan there?  Updating a binary file in the repo every time one of the dependancies makes a release?  That's not what version control is for.  It's a waste of space.  Dependancies must be acquired separately by anyone choosing to build the source.

And a 4MB zip of GIMP source?  GIMP source in the repo is great, but zipped it's useless.

As for the 28MB .app bundle, that's kosher.  It's normal to include binary deps with the application.  It may lead to wasted space for the user (having multiple .apps with the same deps) but that's just How It's Done on the Mac.

i will do some changes on it this afternoon. it seems like the svn also doubles the size of everything as it keeps 2 copies.

Seeing there's currently no one around that could sort this out, I've removed the directory for the time being.  Why not provide it as separate download instead?

12 (edited by jammnrose 2007-05-03 10:09:37)

i am going to work on this, i am going home for the year and have been busy packing.

we should integrate this because we've done so for dev-cpp, this is no different. i just need to find links to the right libraries so i can remove them, because thats something the user should get... libpng is easy to find, but i havent found libintl at all.

edit, im also going back to dialup so i wont be able to re-upload the directory very easily. if it's removed then unless someone else re-adds it i will not be getting it working anytime soon.

I was under the impression that luc's universal binaries include all the necessary files but, since it's been in the repository already, you or anyone else can also retrieve it with

$ svn checkout https://s.snth.net/svn/neverball/trunk/macosx@884

14 (edited by jammnrose 2007-05-03 10:42:28)

luc's osx files contained all the needed files but some libraries were included,

rlk wrote:

Get those binary dependancies out of the repo.  What's the plan there?  Updating a binary file in the repo every time one of the dependancies makes a release?  That's not what version control is for.  It's a waste of space.  Dependancies must be acquired separately by anyone choosing to build the source.

i was waiting to remove these until i could point the user to a place to get them.

15 (edited by parasti 2007-05-03 10:54:24)

There's nothing wrong with providing binary dependencies per se.  It's a bad idea to keep them in the repository, because then you're misusing the repository merely for storage, when in fact its purpose is version control.

So I guess I will be removing the binary dependencies, but this will only get rid of ~2mb or so. There is no way I can see to reduce the size! If people are not okay re-introducing the OSX build files due to the big size I don't know what else to say.
(btw, i will be re-adding to the svn when I can bring my laptop to a place with free wifi, don't know when yet...)

From rlk's comment, there's a couple of things that should be addressed:

* binary dependencies -- these don't belong in the repository;
  * archived GIMP source files -- should not be archived, okay otherwise.

These have nothing to do with large file size, and so should be treated separately.

There are two main bottlenecks with regards to file size:  icons and project files.  I don't have a Mac, so I'm not quite sure what the "dmg_back" images are for, but is there any way you could reuse the icons in dist?  Also, I find it hard to believe that project files can take up so much space.  Dev-C++ and the now-removed MSVC project files take up less than half a megabyte each, Xcode project files take up 5.2 megabytes!  Make sure only project files are provided.  Any files that can be generated at compile time should be removed.

I personally don't see the need for putting any Mac project files in the repository.

I could be wrong, so correct me if I am,
but it seems to me that the vast majority of mac users are not the type who will want to compile from source.
And if they were, they would probably know how to use their chosen compiler, and wouldn't need a prefabricated Xcode project.

If providing this makes the download bigger, even by a couple of Megabytes, I am against it.

HOWEVER, slightly off topic, I will say that based on my own experience, I think we should provide a functional mapc for mac users, as part of the binaries. I believe we'll find quite a few users who will be wanted to dabble in level design, and very few who will feel compelled to build the game itself.

19 (edited by jammnrose 2007-05-06 18:51:23)

Some of the images can be removed as only one is actually for the dmg background.
This icon is a background that is used when the dmg is opened. It's like setting an image to be a folder's background in windows. Many dmg's do this.
I will look at making sure that only the needed files are included. I see a few candidates for removal.

tonesfrommars wrote:

I personally don't see the need for putting any Mac project files in the repository.

Personally I would have never figured out how to compile without the project files. Also, if we don't have these files we are making Mac users figure it out themselves.
Dev-C++ is a very good compilier/IDE for windows but I think xCode is even more so for Mac.

Edit: also remember that being in svn effectively DOUBLES the size (at least, I'm fairly sure of this).

tonesfrommars wrote:

...it seems to me that the vast majority of mac users are not the type who will want to compile from source...

The exact same thing could be said of Windows users, yet I think having the Dev-c++ files is a good idea. I also think having project files for Mac is a good idea too.

Do we really need a dmg "background image"? It sounds so completely unneccesary...
Also, I really don't understand how a project file alone can be so large. It should just contain references to the various code files and what to do with them... Are there any settings in xCode that let you reduce the size of the project file?

jammnrose wrote:

Personally I would have never figured out how to compile without the project files.

Yeah, I can say the same for myself, although, as you did, I obtained the project from Luc.
So I can see the sense in offering it, esp. in an open source context such as this.

Then I guess the only issue is making it a reasonable size. I still feel if there's no way of making it manageable, that's kind of a deal breaker, and we can still make the project available through the forums, as it is currently.
I don't believe the background image is necessary, the user can decorate their dmg however they want.

jammnrose wrote:

I will look at making sure that only the needed files are included. I see a few candidates for removal.

Take a look at the "build" subdirectory.  It contains the largest files but its name suggests that they are all generated at compile time.  Maybe you could do some testing to see which ones are regenerated.

I believe you are correct parasti.
The build directory can be empty.

i will look into this.

25 (edited by jammnrose 2007-05-17 19:11:02)

*hopefully* I will be at a place with high-speed access later today and will strip the macosx directory down. I will remove the files that are re-generated and will take out the images that are not used for the dmg. There are a few options, but only one is actually used. I will keep that one.

I also plan to have a new OSX build/binary up as well.

EDIT: Can/should a mod sticky this? I seem to be the only person doing new builds for OSX.